Friday, March 18, 2011

Can I have 2 Pump/CGM's?

I was on a Minimed pump/CGM system for the past 7 years. Most recently the Real Time Revel system. I stopped using Minimed because of a customer service issue that I thought was unacceptable.

I have been doing a little research trying to figure out when OmniPod and Dexcom are going to integrate. Basically this integration would mean that the CGM data would be available on the Omnipod PDM and I would only need to carry 1 device. I am also trying to decide if I want to switch back to my Minimed Real Time Revel pump/cgm. I came upon this article (2nd entry) in my research and it sounds like there is going to be a long delay in getting the integrations done.

After using the Dexcom/Omnipod for the past 6 months I have come to a few realizations that are making me want to go back to the Medtronic Minimed system (reluctantly). Mainly, I have had several instances where I wanted to eat, but didn't have my PDM with me. Some examples would be going out to hike with the dogs, then do some grocery shopping and errands. This could take 4 or 5 hours, and I still don't always remember to bring the PDM even after 6 months. Without the PDM I can't bolus for what I eat, so I can't eat. Second, when I do remember to bring my PDM I now feel inundated with all the crap I have to carry, especially at work. At work I would have PDM, CGM, Work blackberry, wallet, multi-tool and flashlight! That is too much! Third, neither Dexcom nor Omnipod are weather proof and I am on my bike or hiking in rainy, snowy or muddy conditions a lot. As much as I hate to say it, the Medtronic Minimed system solves all of these, but it does tether me to my pump/CGM with it's tubing.

(This all goes on my belt plus a little id badge holder...)
I have made a call to Minimed to see about getting a new transmitter. I have all the other parts, in fact the pump is brand new (warranty replacement). So if it gets approved I will have 2 working pumps and CGM's that I could alternate between. I suppose this would make me a little spoiled, but I also don't think there is anything wrong with trying out other systems to find which one works best. I figure I can utilize them both. When I am biking or at work I can use the tubed and water resistant Minimed, and when I am say, road-tripping to Montana, I can use the Omnipod/Dexcom and not have to dig in my pocket for my pump.

No comments:

Post a Comment